You may also feel the painful knots if you have neck pain. These forms are found in the upper trapezius muscle and levator scapulae muscle. These muscles are located in the shoulder area where the Shoulder and Neck meet. These trigger points can lead to pain tension, muscle spasm and tension in the neck and shoulders. There are many ways to release trigger points from the upper trapezius or levator scapulae muscles, such as massage. Although ultrasound and electrical stimulation have been used to dislodge knots, scientific evidence suggests that they are not as effective. Stretching the neck muscles, among other exercises, can help relieve neck knots. However it is important to maintain a healthy posture in order to prevent further depressing symptoms. Kinesiology tape is one of the most recent treatments for neck and shoulder knots.
What is Kinesiology Tape?This is the most modern form of physical therapy that can be used for the release of muscle knots. Kinesiology tape is used to reduce swelling, pain, and inflammation. It can also be used to treat fluid retention. It can also be used for lifting the skin from the underlying tissues, which increases circulation and releases muscular spasms. If you suffer from neck pain, it can help to reduce trigger points and knots in the trapezius or levator muscles. A specific tape strip, also known as a lifting strip or bandage strip, is used to reduce the notes and trigger points in your trapezius muscles and levator muscles. You must first consult your healthcare provider before you use kinesiology tape on your own. A physical therapist is needed to properly evaluate your injury. The tape can be harmful and can cause more harm than good. There are also many areas in the body that tape should not be used. After evaluating your neck pain and trigger point, a physical therapist can decide if you require kinesiology tape.
There is an application method that works best.This is how to use kinesiology tap to reduce spasms and trigger points in your neck and upper shoulders.
- Place your neck and shoulders in a comfortable position.
- For each side of your neck, cut a lift strip that is about three to four inches in length
- The paper backing should be removed from the middle of each strip. It will look like a bandage. Both ends must still have the backing. That’s why it’s also known as a bandage.
- Place the tape 100% over your trigger point, either in your neck or shoulder area. Now remove the backing from each side of the lift strip.
- You can then gently rub the tape to help the heat stick better to your skin